The economic assumption embedded in the law is that the government can cut costs by shifting the incentives of health care providers. The existing system is built around a so-called “fee-for-service” model, in which doctors, hospitals and other practitioners are paid procedure by procedure. The Affordable Care Act wants to turn toward what’s called a “value-based” model, one in which plans and providers compete on price and quality rather than volume.
Obamacare emphasizes these new incentives by purchasing the extraordinary buying power of Medicare and Medicaid, which together foot the bill for nearly $1 trillion a year in health care costs, to encourage providers and entrepreneurs to come up with new ways to provide better care at lower cost in return for their business. This isn’t an entirely “market-based” solution. The health care businesspeople often need to persuade government officials to approve their plans, but it’s certainly more “market-based” than what it hopes to replace.
This article was written by Adam Davidson in the New York Times. There was way too much in this article to get a clear summary, but I did it! So what I got from this article was that hospitals and other health care providers are pushing for Obamacare to pass. But with this push, people are losing faith that the bill will be as successful as they thought. So, what I don’t understand is that with Obamacare people will actually have insurance no matter what but then Congress is acting like children to not have the law passed. Are they just afraid that it will work? A lot of effort has been put into passing this law, now are we going to let all that work go to waste?
Another thing that I don’t understand is the whole government shutdown. It’s like Congress was upset that nothing was going their way that they just shut down the government. Childish? I think yes.
No comments:
Post a Comment